Winter Weather Safety Tips—Part 2


During the winter months, it is common to use the fireplace and /or other heating sources, such as appliances that require the use of natural gas, kerosene and other fuels. Unless these appliances are properly vented and properly used they can leak dangerous amounts of carbon monoxide—a deadly gas that you cannot see or smell into the air that you breathe. These appliances can also be major burn hazards and can even lead to the start of a fire. Here are some tips to keep you safe …

  • Properly vent all heating appliances and sources

  • Use the proper fuel for the proper appliance

  • Do not use any portable heaters or appliances around children or pets unless supervised and protected

  • Never leave these appliances run while not at home

  • Pay close attention to how you are feeling when the appliance is running

  • Do not ignore the following warning signs of Carbon Monoxide poisoning

Warning Signs

Headache, Weakness, Nausea or vomiting, Dizziness, Confusion, Blurred vision, and Loss of consciousness

If you think you or a loved one may have carbon monoxide poisoning, get into fresh air and get medical care immediately….Call 911

 

winter tips